missing the sunshine...but the heater will do

It's been SO cold today...not an especially low temp (maybe 52 degrees?) but overcast, foggy, drizzly. The kind of day that you want to watch from your window, in a toasty house, with a cup of hot tea.

For some reason we didn't even think about the weather as we started our floor project a week and a half ago. Why we didn't realize we would be needing heat for the house but preferably without mineral spirit fumes circulating throughout I have no clue. Yesterday was the breaking point for me. We slept out in my studio (with Phylo...Sanguine stayed in the house because we didn't want to schlep her litter box, etc. - I think she was peeved though) so we could have a little heat, then in the morning came back in the house. It was COLD! Jared went off to his toasty little corporate office and I sat at my computer with a little space heater on the desk. Because we thought we'd be done with this project in a week (sigh...more denial) I didn't pull out enough stuff to work on and it's been buried under half the contents of our house. I'm sadly missing my sewing machine, fabrics, and painting supplies - I wish I could be a little mouse and crawl in to find them.

After half a day I tried to let the supposedly warmer air in the house...but alas it was only 54 degrees out so even with that we just kept shivering. I eventually just had enough with trying to work in the icebox and went out to warmer places...target, marshalls, the post office, trader joe's...yep, went to them all! I really didn't want to come home. But eventually I had to and when I got here it was, of course, still freezing and that's when I spiraled into a meltdown. I tearfully told Jared everything that was bothering me...the eternal chill in the house and my work space, needing to get back to work NOW, the total mess of the house, even the shopping cart someone had abandoned outside our house that hadn't been picked up yet. Jared turned into 'fairy godmother/miracle worker' and disappeared into the basement. I heard a bunch of clanging around and eventually I heard the heat come ON!! I was panicked the house was going to fill with fumes from the masked off space (everything is connected with the HVAC system) but it turned out that Jared had moved the air intake from our hallway (in the fume zone) into the basement (don't ask me how) and now the system was able to pull clean air from the basement and push it into the house. Huge SIGH of relief!! We were able to sleep in the house and our animals were as happy as we were. Thank you Jared!

So today has been so much better! The only time I had to brave the chill was out on my walk with Phylo where I was thinking it's silly to try and be cute in a skirt and knee socks in the middle of January :o)

In other less dramatic happenings...of which I hope to post more of soon!...Tilly the lapdog plush is all sewn up and snug as a bug in my shop. Please check her out if you like.

Tilly the lapdog

AND...I took advantage of the Marimekko sale at Repro Depot fabrics and picked up this lovely fabric. It will be so swell as a set of pillows when our living room is tidied up someday.

Warmest wishes to you!
xo, devon

Ps- The shopping cart is gone today too :o)